6.12.2014

Outdoor Plant Chandelier

The back porch makeover is coming along. I'd love to say it's done but it's more like somewhat done with some not-even-close-to-done parts thrown in. It's all good. I'm still confident we'll be celebrating the 4th in style back there. If you saw the plans for the porch, a sneak peak of my plant chandelier was included in all its teal awesomeness. I'll admit, this has been done for a while since I couldn't wait to make it when I first saw the idea. It's just so pretty and a great upcycle. Yes. It will be very happy on my porch. I can tell.

I got the idea from The DIY Showoff. I was searching outdoor ideas on Pinterest and found her image of the chandelier she made. I immediately loved it and began obsessively hunting Craig's List and thrift stores for the perfect old/cheap/broken chandelier. I feel like I've seen a bazillion of them in the past, of course, when I was actually looking, nada. Most Craig's List ones would say "perfect condition, works great!" and then ask $50. Um no. I made a mental deal with myself to not go higher than $20 and free is more like it. But alas, as I searched and searched I found nothing until I hit up an estate sale one day.
That's a pic at the actual estate sale above. (No worries, I left the plastic fruit wreaths for others to enjoy) They wouldn't go lower than $20 for the chandelier so I bit the bullet and shelled out the 20 beans. More than I would have liked to spend, but still not bad. I bet you can do better though. Let's begin!

To make your own outdoor plant chandelier, you will need:
  • old chandelier with arms that face up (it doesn't have to work)
  • small pots and saucers (you will need as many as there are arms on your chandelier)
  • wire cutters
  • epoxy
  • primer
  • paint

Step 1:
Remove any glass globes or vases or shades. You won't be needing them. Also, remove all of the wiring. I pulled and cut with wire cutters and unscrewed some parts to get it all out. You really don't have to be careful since you don't need any of the electrical to work anyway. And if you can't get it all out, that's okay too. Just as long as it's not showing or in the way.



Step 2:
Clean the crud out of and off of it. This sucker was probably hung over a deep fryer at some point in its life and then dipped in an old vacuum bag.



You need to get the crud off so the primer will stick. Feel free to use the hose! Remember, the electrical parts won't be used anymore.


After it was dry, I sanded the whole thing really quickly and lightly with a fine grit foam sanding block. This step probably isn't critical, but I always think the paint and primer stick better when the surface you're spraying isn't real shiny.


My assistant was helping every step of the way too. ;)

And, quick tip. This is how I hung up my chandelier in the yard while I was painting. Worked great!


Step 3:
Prime. I used Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer. Just one coat worked fabulously.




While I waited for the primer to dry, I realized I would have to reattach these flat metal things to each arm so the pots would have something to sit on. However, they were held on before by the electrical parts I cut off so I knew I needed some hardware. 


I found these in the lighting section at Home Depot. I don't know much about how lamps are assembled but I'm assuming the sizes of the fittings are pretty standard since this was the only size offered and they fit my chandelier perfectly. :) You're welcome.

Prime the pots and saucers while you're at it. I used clay pots but I think plastic would work well too and be lighter.


Step 4
Epoxy the saucers to the chandelier and the pots to the saucers. I used Gorilla Epoxy.

Just mix the two liquids together and work fast. The package isn't lying. In five minutes it will be a rock. Make sure to use a disposable container and a disposable something to mix with. I used a plastic knife.

Once all of my saucers were on I clamped a few to keep them down. The epoxy really dries fast so you might not need to clamp. Just hold them in place for a minute.

Then, I put the epoxy on the pots like this. Don't do a solid ring all the way around. You want there to be gaps for the water to drain.

Stick those on and wait for it to set up. The neighbors will give you crazy looks while this is happening. I can't tell if they're confused or just annoyed that my backyard constantly smells like spray paint. :)

Step 5
Paint! I love this teal color from Rust-Oleum. You're going to be seeing it a lot on the porch. :)

And that's it. Add your plants and you're done.

I really love how it turned out and it was fairly simple and inexpensive. Ever since this one has been done I've been on the hunt for another chandelier. I think I need two, don't you? :) Stay tuned. More porch projects coming your way.

17 comments :

  1. You are a talented girl my friend. I JUST LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this idea on Pinterest. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already have an old chandelier.... now just have to get the little pots!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous! I thought I could definitely find a free one but couldn't find anything that would work, so I paid for mine. The pots are cheap... like 60 cents each. :) Have fun with it!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea and a "pop" of color. Kudos, on using your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet words! I think I'm addicted to this color teal now. I need to put the can down. :)

      Delete
  6. What a great idea, I am now on the lookout hope to find one soon, thank you so much for all the directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was pretty easy to make and now I want to make another one for our new house. I'm on the hunt for another chandelier too... one on either side of the front door on the porch :)

      Delete
  7. Great idea I will be on the lookout for one of these and thanks for the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this great idea! You could also hang it from a low-hanging tree branch and use shade-tolerant plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHH! This is amazing! I am going thrifting to find my own to create now :)

    ReplyDelete