3.03.2015

Flea Market Swap: Old Records and a Shower Curtain


Swap it like it's hot! It's here! Today is day 2 of the Flea Market Swap challenge where 33 lovely bloggers (whole list is at the bottom of the post) went out thrift store shopping and sent their finds to other bloggers to transform into something more than neglected nicknacks. I participated last go round and ran into quite the craft fails along the way. I think I pulled it out though in the end. I think. Anyway... this round was much more successful! :) Today the 7 blogs above show off their stuff... come see!


Emily from Two Purple Couches sent me my goods--> 4 old records and a striped shower curtain :) Try as I might, an idea combining the two items just didn't happen. So I tackled the records first.

I had this awesome idea for navy and gold candle holders that in my head was going to get Pinterest aflutter. Seriously. I was going to be famous. So, I hit up the garage and got some metallic gold spray paint and a flat navy that I used in my son's room. Normally I'm a Rust-Oleum fan but they just don't make this shade and finish of blue. Anyway, I crossed the streams and used both.

Turns out records sprayed metallic gold do look amazing. Records sprayed flat blue... not so much. The different records took the color differently and well, they just looked like poo. So, I tossed one that there was no coming back from and sprayed over the other with more gold. 

Then, I got a small pack of round mirrors from Hobby Lobby for like $3 and glued them to the center of the records. I can't decide if I like them better as chargers for my entryway table or if I'm going to stick them to the wall as mirrors. Either way they up the glam in here. (Just look past the play tent and plastic princess heals as you walk in... it's cool).
I got that clock at a garage sale and the vase at Goodwill... both $1! :) It's a thrift extravaganza really.

Now on to the shower curtain! Backstory: A couple weeks ago I chaperoned my daughter's 1st grade field trip to LEGOLAND. They discouraged the kids from bringing their full-sized backpacks on the trip for fear that they'd get sick of carrying them around and end up piled on the poor chaperones all day. (smart teachers) But, they were allowed to bring small bags to carry snacks and little stuff. Anyway, a lot of the kids had mini-sized backpacks. And, my kid did not. So naturally she's been asking for one ever since. Enter shower curtain transformation.

I probably only used 1/4 of the entire curtain and sort of made it up as I went. The entire project took about an hour and she loves it! I'll post the full tutorial later this week should you come across shower curtains that need new life too.

I used a shoelace for the drawstring closure, hot glued some wood beads on the ends, and added a pocket to the outside. It's now ready for juice boxes and squeeze apple sauce. Bring on the next trip.

Now that you've seen what I did with Emily's finds, head over to The Gathered Home to see what Brynne did with the crazy stuff I sent her! I'm going with you since I haven't seen what she did yet either! Let's hold hands.

16 comments :

  1. Sarah that little backpack is genius made from the shower curtain! Love the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love what you've done with the records and the shower curtain! I'm totally going back for more of those records so I can glam them up :) And I can't believe that you turned that shower curtain into a cute, colorful backpack!! So awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The records turned out really pretty with the gold paint, but the backpack...well that just might be my favorite repurpose yet!! SO well done!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to make one of those drawstring back packs forever! Love that fabric can really come from anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest little backpack ever!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! The beauty of the craft #fail! :) The gold looks amazing. Is there nothing that doesn't look better with a coat of gold spray paint? And the bag is the cutest. My hoarding kids would LOVE that. Thanks for playing along! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are so pretty, Sarah! I really love what you did with the records. You created such nice vignette with them. And of course the backpack is adorable. Wish I had your sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! That shower curtain makes an adorable backpack for your daughter. You were clever to think of using the records as candle bases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love both of these- you are so talented! the records are so fun and your photo of them on the table is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That backpack is genius! So very adorable! And I love the gold records as candle holders!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That backpack is ADORABLE! and love what you did with the records!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is perfect! I would have never thought to make candleholders out of those records. And the backpack is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gold records! Awesome. You could have made a Grammy and told everyone you are famous, they'd never know! Love that you sewed with your swap items too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The little backpack is just adorable and so creative! And gold seems to be the theme of the week for the swap hop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't even believe what you did with those records! I saw some when I was shopping and couldn't even think of anything so I left them! Now I have to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, if your aren't famous on Pinterest yet, you should be! Serious creativity going on with your finds. Love the candle holders and that adorable backpack!!!

    ReplyDelete