9.12.2013

How to Make The Incredibles Halloween Costumes + Costume Contest



I've always liked Halloween and always decorated and dressed up. However, about 4 years ago I started working in an office that took Halloween to a whole new level (some might call it crazy). These people are crazy serious, not only in work on Halloween but at costume parties they throw at their own houses. Remember this post from a couple years ago? Yep, that's my office. Each year we outdo the year before. So a couple years ago the pressure was on for a full family costume so we could attend one such party and not hang our heads in shame. That year, I transformed us into The Incredibles.

Since the only part of this costume you really have to make is the logo on the shirts, I'll first show you what I gathered for us to wear. I had about half of the items already, the other stuff was purchased at Walmart, and the black work gloves are from Home Depot.


Mr. Incredible:

You'll notice Mr. Incredible is wearing a lot of women's clothing :). I could not for the life of me find men's sweat pants (because we all know he wasn't gonna wear tights) or long sleeved shirts in bright red. All the men's stuff was maroon. So, the women's section it had to be. Also, the reason he has two shirts on is because the only long sleeved bright red shirt I could find (quickly and cheaply) was women's. Women's shirts have a much larger neck hole (in general) than men's and well... Mr. Incredible was showing a little too much chest hair. I did find a men's short sleeved shirt. So he just put it on over top of the long sleeved one.

Mrs. Incredible, yep, that's me:

I had trouble finding red leggings in women's sizes so these are actually a girl's 14-16 :) Good thing they are super stretchy! They're quite the high-waters inside the boots though.

Violet and Dash:

The kid's costumes were easy since kid's clothing comes in bright colors usually anyway. "Dash" will probably have to wear girl's clothing, but he'll look really fast so it's okay. ha. They both are wearing red long sleeved t-shirts, red tights, black shoes, black gloves (I think Dash took his off), and the same orange t-shirt cut into strips for the belt. Dash has a girl's black diaper cover on over his tights and Violet has some black leggings I cut to look like small black shorts. I didn't do the mask makeup on my Dash because we were at a friend's house and I didn't want his black makeup smeared all over their furniture. I'm nice like that.

To make the Incredibles logo for the shirts:


Supplies:

  • Felt - Orange, Black, Yellow, White (my black is actually an old black t-shirt)
  • Scissors
  • Heat-N-Bond
  • Iron
  • Incredibles logo template - Click here for the template!
  • Printer
Step 1.
Iron Heat-N-Bond to the felt. I find cutting a rectangle of Heat-N-Bond slightly smaller than your fabric rectangle or felt works best. You want the Heat-N-Bond smaller than the fabric so you don't stick Heat-N-Bond to your ironing board. Just follow the directions on the package. You should have several pieces of felt backed with Heat-N-Bond after this step.

Step 2
Print out and cut apart the pieces of the The Incredibles logo. I have made 3 versions for you. An adult size and two smaller children's sizes.  If they don't fit the shirt you have like you want, you can scale them when you print them out or scale on a copy machine. Click here for the logos.

Step 3

Trace the pieces with the right side of them touching the Heat-N-Bond paper backing. Remember, the backing is the back of the logo that will be sticking to the shirt so you have the trace the pieces backwards in order for it to be correct when you iron it to the shirt. I forgot the backwards part and so you'll notice all of the logos on our shirts are backwards compared to the cartoon versions. No one has ever noticed so don't sweat it if you forget too. Cut them out.

Step 4
Reassemble the felt logo pieces on each shirt, peal off the backing, and iron in place. Follow the directions on the package to see how long to hold the iron down.

Now suit up and head to the party as various other motorists do triple takes of your family as you drive by. It's quite entertaining actually. I think we scared our neighbor on the way to the car.




39 comments :

  1. Such a cool family costume!!! And I'm pretty sure you guys won that year at our party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for being generous with your logo design! Our two little boys love The Incredibles, so that's our family's idea for this year. Came across your cute costumes, and was delighted to find it done just the way I was planning to do it myself, with a perfect logo already made and there for the sharing! Thank you...it's much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I loved being the Incredibles! I only wish we had taken better pictures. Let me know if you have any questions!

      Delete
  3. You have probably made me Mom of The Year! So, my 5 year old had his heart set on being Dash (since February!!), but becuase life is so hectic, I ordered the costume (for $45.00) on October 15. Date wasn't too bad, right? Wrong, it is now October 26 and it hasn't even been delivered!! I spoke with the company and the 'supposedly' sent me an email indicating the shipment has been back ordered. WELL I WAS IN A PANIC!!! I couldn't breathe.....and all I could imagine was my 5 year old's face if I didn't have that Dash costume....after biting all my nails off, I Googled 'how to make a Dash costume' and poof! There was your easy-peasy directions. You have saved me and cannot thank you enough! Now, can you help me getting my nails back.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You just made my day! So glad you're going to make it. I hope they refund you that $45! The year we were the Incredibles was my favorite Halloween to date. The kids were so cute! Let me know if you have any questions!

      Delete
  4. Where did you find red leggings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not find women's red leggings anywhere. These are girls size 14-16 from Walmart. I just cut the waistband a little ;) No one can tell with the shorts over top!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your template/pattern of the logos. We have to dress up in a Disney themed costume for our annual Family X'mas party. My husband and I chose the Incredibles. This came in really handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just love you family. you all are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your family. you all are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ariya! Great way to start the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished making the shirts for the whole family to run a superhero 5k in. Thank you so much for the templates! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm actually running a 5K next week but it's not as cool as a superhero 5K... that sounds so fun! Glad they worked out for you. :)

      Delete
  10. Love it! It's amazing how similarly we created the same outfit a couple of years ago...great minds think alike! :) Check out ours here: http://momtrusted.com/articles/165-family-halloween-costume-idea-the-incredibles So...are you guys doing another family costume this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. :) Well, my kids are Frozen obsessed and that theme has been thrown around for this year. We'll see if I can convince my husband to be Sven. haha!

      Delete
  11. Have just made up incredibles suits for our nearly 3yr old twins inspired by this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Great to hear! I bet they were adorable :) Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  12. How did you secure the belt? Did you tie it in back or what? Love the costumes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily. I just cut strips across an orange t-shirt that was a little smaller than us. That left me with stretchy loops. We just pulled them up over our bums. :)

      Delete
  13. I wanted to say thank you for a great tutorial and pdf...Have been referring to it often! We are going as the incredibles (in a somewhat abbreviated format) at Mickey's not so scary halloween party at WDW and I cannot wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Maybe we'll see you there... we were planning on taking the kids this year although... I'm pretty sure they have both grown out of their costumes. I think Elsa and Olaf are in order this year. haha :)

      Delete
  14. I just made the shirts for our family of 5. They turned out awesome. Thank you for the template!
    I'm just wondering if you have tried washing the shirts or would they fall apart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just talking about this with someone else. I have not washed our shirts, but I imagine the felt probably wouldn't hold up that well. I've made several baby blankets with heat-n-bond appliqués that have been washed a million times and the heat-n-bond holds, but they were made with regular fabric, not felt. Don't know if that helps but now you know I haven't washed my Halloween costume from 3 years ago! lol

      Delete
  15. Great tutorial! Did you buy the felt by the yards, or the squares? Also, how much of each (2 Adult, 1 Kid)? Did you use felt for the belt as well? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo. I used felt sheets since they are cheap and available almost everywhere. I think I used 2 black sheets and 1 of every other color. The pieces are so small you can arrange them next to each other and really get off cheap :) The belts are just a small orange t-shirt I cut into strips and glued around us. T-shirts are stretchy so I just made them snug and they stayed tight .

      Delete
  16. Did you have any problems making the emblems stick to the T-shirts? If you did what did you do to make it stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems. I ironed heat-n-bond to the backs of the emblems and they stuck fine. Since this is a costume, and probably won't get normal wear/wash, you could even use hot glue if you wanted :)

      Delete
  17. I love your costumes and my family will definitely be the incredibles this year. Does a hot glue gun work?? Not sure if I can find heat and bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure hot glue will work fine, just not sure about washing it. Probably not a huge deal since it's a costume and most likely won't get worn all that much. (my entire costume this year was constructed with hot glue!) :) Go for it!

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing this! My family went out as the incredible family for Halloween last night night and to a costume party and the feedback was awesome! We had Mr and Mrs incredible, our 8 year old daughter was violet, 4 year old daughter was dash, and our 4 month old baby was Jack Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My daughter has dress up at school next week with a super heroes theme. going to attempt violet! Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I washed them on delicate and air dry. They are just fine.
    We got tons of praise for our family costumes! Thank you the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks Angie. You are now my reference when I get the "can you wash them?" question. haha

      Delete
  21. Thanks great idea my child loves the incredibles she can go as one for children in need this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea my child loves the incredibles she can go as one for children in need. :-)

    ReplyDelete